Wednesday, May 27, 2015 @ 6:32 PM  0 stares



 First thing we did in the morning for our first day at Gothenburg was eat breakfast! Their powdered sugar croissant and fresh squeezed orange juice was delicious! Then we went and took some pictures of their decor (it looks far less scary in the morning). They have Christian Louboutin shoes in the hotel for decoration! (In case you're wondering why I took pictures of a random pair of heels...) Ugh, my first big girl purchase!! So far away ):


 We first wandered around Gothenburg after our leisure morning. We visited the Universeum, which is also right next to Liseberg which similar to Tivoli is also an amusement park with some gardens, but since we already went to Tivoli we passed on going to Liseberg as well. We found Universeum to be quite expensive and most likely not worth the price, so we took a picture with the huge dinosaur and a robot and then just left. We visited a pavilion with a statue of Poseidon, which was cool. Like I said I enjoy Greek and Roman myth things we've been seeing here.


We then walked in one direction for a long time and then finally got to Haga which is kind of like the Gamla Stan of Gothenburg, or maybe it's just a little street of shops for the college students at Gothenburg. Gothenburg has a huge university in the middle of it so for once in Sweden we saw a lot of our age kids. We visited some pretty interesting stores, like this one store with all these cute mottos I really liked or this heart-shaped themed store. Liked those quirky little shops.


We also stopped for lunch in Haga, at a restaurant that I forgot its name... But we had a piece of salmon in butter sauce, it was seasoned pretty well, sour and sweet with the pickled vegetable bed. A combination I really like. There was also a piece of cod. It was breaded and slightly crispy on the outside. It was however, less flavorful and less tender than the salmon. It was served with a shrimp salad, which was okay, but felt too creamy for me.


Next we visited Da Matteo which is supposedly the best coffee shop in Sweden! I guess it makes the coffee shop not hipster though... too mainstream haha. Christy got a cappuccino, whereas I got a chemex of an Ethiopian bean. Overall the flavor was very sour (it was supposed to have tropical fruit notes I think, like passion fruit). The coffee was very smooth and hot! I kept kidding about how I wanted to steal their chemex since they serve it right to your table in the chemex... I'm kidding, but I'm not... I really liked the coffee! I wish they had a brew that was more sweet though, that's more up my alley... Flying Machine Rwandan... ugh I miss you. Sweds seem to enjoy really sour coffee though...


Finally we ate a very simple dinner at a place called Cafe Du Nord. Christy FINALLY ordered the famed Sweedish Meatballs! And I ordered a fillet of salmon with potatoes on the side. Food was really filling, especially with the potatoes. I enjoyed the Swedish meatballs, much better than the stuff you get at Ikea. It's much larger and softer and more flavorful. I enjoyed eating the meatballs with the sauce, the potatoes and the strawberry sauce. It was good. The salmon was good too, but nothing special, I've eaten a lot of salmon here, and it's always fresh, but this one wasn't prepared particularly in a special way.


That was pretty much it, a real chill day. We were tired to be honest from all of the travelling and it was a lot more slow paced than our day in Copenhagen. I'm pretty disappointed we didn't get to stay in Gothenburg for the night, cause I hear the nightlife scene is bumpin'. I really wanted to go to the Port du Soleil thing (it's a circus themed dance club! Reals cool and reals fun lookin') but it's only open Friday and Saturday nights and by the time I found out we couldn't return our tickets anymore. It's okay, I hear there's something similar in Portugal. Although I don't know if partying with clowns is going to scare the shit out of me...

Labels: